William Wallace made this final cry as he was killed in the movie Braveheart. Closer to home, countless soldiers have cried this same cry as they charged into battle and nearly certain death. The signers of our Declaration of Independence were crying out “Freedom!” as they boldly signed an act of high treason against the British crown. Many unknown and unsung men, women and children paid a high price to secure and defend that freedom.
This July 4, we celebrate our Independence Day. Let us take just a moment to reflect on some of the freedoms which God has blessed us with in this great nation (from the Bill of Rights)
- right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances
- the right of the people to keep and bear Arms
- The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures
- the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury
As a result of these, and other stated rights, we also enjoy the freedom to:
- birth and raise our children as God directs to the glory of God
- educate our children as God directs to the glory of God
- gather to worship as God directs to the glory of God
- travel and see God’s creation of nature and culture
- and many, many more.
With all the freedoms with which we have been blessed, we need to meditate on the warning and command given in 1 Peter 2:16, “Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil.”
We may fall into mistaking our freedom as a right to do whatever we please. We are to be free from sin to live for God.
May we remember our source and purpose of freedom as we celebrate this Independence day.
To that end, here are events in July, many of which are free… but just like our freedoms… everything free comes at a cost to someone. Let us enjoy with gratitude!
- Classic Car Show – Every Thursday at Grace Church
- Live at the Lake Concert – Every Friday in Berea, Ohio
- Moody Radio Community Calendar for VBS and other events near you.
- Free zoo visit with Asian Lantern display – Every Monday at the Zoo
- Kids ride the RTA free in the summer
- 7/4-6 Grindstone Festival, Berea
- 7/5 Homedepot Kids Workshop Tow Truck
- 7/15-7/19 VBS at Parma Heights Baptist Church
- 7/22-7/26 CVC sports camp
- 7/27 1-9 p.m. CPL 150 Street Festival
- 7/31 A Storybook Adventure @1:30-3:30 p.m., Berea
Other events that are not specific to this month
Ongoing Events (Some may have different schedules this month. Call to confirm.)
- Metroparks – this is an amazing season to get out and enjoy beauty from nature (whether on a trail, at a nature center or other event)
- Be a Junior Ranger in the National Park
- Library Events & Storytimes (Cuyahoga Library, Cleveland Library)
Weekly Recurring Events (Some may have different schedules this month. Call to confirm.)
- Cleveland Museum of Art Art Storytime – Sat 11-11:30 a.m.
- Free Citizenship classes @ Grace Church – Sunday, 4:30pm
- Free ESL classes @ Grace Church – Sunday, 6 p.m.
Monthly Recurring Events (Some may have different schedules this month. Call to confirm.)
- Home Depot Children’s Workshop – 1st Saturday
- Volunteers of America thrift store half price day – Last Tuesday
- Monthly Homeschool Events at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History ($$$, RSVP)